Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Chatting with Nick Cannon

One on One with Nick Cannon

Funny man Nick Cannon certainly is no new comer to show biz. Getting his big break on Nickelodeon, Nick has managed to become a regular on TV.

His latest success: MTV's Wild 'N Out.

Can you tell us a little about yourself?
My name is Ralph and I’m a cancer. No! (Laughs) Hey! This is Nick Cannon. I was born October 8, 1980 that would make me a Libra, a man of balance. I like long walks in the park, goldfish, and Denny’s T Bone steak.

If you had to choose would you rather be in TV, movies, or pursue a singing career?
Right now, at this very moment, as I sit across from you, I would say music. I am so focused. I have tunnel vision when it comes to work. I haven’t had a chance to conquer music yet. There is something about the excitement. Something that makes it so much more intriguing right now. I have always wanted music before I wanted television or film. Music was the thing I wanted the most. I am very involved with the label. It’s a dream come true.

What made you decide to become a singer in addition to all of the avenues you are pursuing right now?
I am rapper not a singer!! (Laughs) I wish I could sing! I have wanted this from the beginning like I said before. I had my first demo tape when I was 8 years old. There was something about music that captivated me. My grandfather was a musician. He passed away when I was 8. He left me all his musical equipment. I didn’t know how to play any of it. There were keyboards and recording devices. It means something more to me than being just a rapper or an actor. Music is my first love. That’s what made me really want to do it.

This question is for all the single ladies out there. What do you look for in a girl?
Character, personality, and talent. No attitude. She has to have confidence and a sense of humor because I am never serious. She has to have pretty feet too!

How do you spend your free time?
I pull practical jokes with my friends. I act crazy and go to church. I always say, “My vocation is my vacation”. All of the stuff that I do whether performing or music, acting on the set, writing, doing stand up comedy, or all the crazy things that I do, I love it. Even though, at times, it seems like work. In the past 3 or 4 days, I maybe had 6 hours of sleep. But, I am not complaining because this is what I love. So when I am not doing something related to my career, I am probably going to church.

What do you hope to accomplish?
Realistically, I am going after people’s spots like Quincy Jones, Bill Cosby, and Oprah Winfrey. If I could marry Oprah, do you know how huge that would be? That would be huge!

Well, Oprah lives in Chicago. You’re in her city right now Nick!
I am trying to work it out right now! I would love to have that kind of status. I have my own television production company, In the Can Entertainment. I have my own music production company. We actually just changed the name of the music one. It was called Caveman Entertainment. We were making a name for ourselves! Then, we go and find out someone else has that name. But now, we have a really cool name. It is called Caniball Entertainment.
Courtesy of: BMG
Article first appeared in Ignite Magazine.
-
-
By Jessica McCafferty

No comments: