Monday, November 20, 2006

Brie Larson

Here at The Glam Guide we love to be the first ones to bring our readers the latest trends and happenings in and around the music world. So, when we got word of hot new artist Brie Larson, checking her out topped our list! Ms. Larson already won the hearts of fans with roles in hit movies such as Sleepover and 13 Going on 30. Not only is Brie making waves on the silver screen, she toured with teen heartthrob Jesse McCartney. Her debut album, Finally Out of P.E., mixes together up-tempo pop beats with catchy lyrics and incredible musical range. But, Brie doesn’t just sing, this triple threat can even play guitar too! Let’s see what actress turned singer Brie Larson revealed to me in this exclusive one-on-one interview…

When did you first realize you wanted to become an entertainer?
I realized this was something I wanted to pursue, while I was in the 2nd grade. My class was going to do a Thanksgiving play. I wanted to get the part of the Indian that chases the turkey! You were able to choose which part you wanted, but you had to turn in a permission slip. So, I told my mom I had to be the first person to turn it in because I had to get this part. I just ran across a stage, chasing this little turkey. Afterwards, moms were coming up to my mom saying wow. I took that role very seriously! So, my mom thought this was something I would like to get into. But, at first I was really shy, so it took me awhile before I was able to come out of my shell.

Which song off your album has the most meaning to you?

The song closest to my heart is called, “Ugly”. I have always been really, really insecure. Everyone always think because you are singing or getting to be on tour with Jesse McCartney that you are fully confident and just love yourself the way you are. That really wasn’t the case. I was really insecure about myself. I used to get in these funks, where I would wake up one morning and be so incredibly depressed. I would just cry and never leave the house. I would just stare at myself in the mirror. After going through these ups and downs, I finally realized I should write all this down. I keep a journal and write songs all the time. Weeks later, I went back to look at it and said wow I really don’t want to feel this way anymore. I ended up turning it into a song. It’s actually the song I get one of the biggest responses from. Girls always feel so alone when they are growing up and becoming a woman. I think the song really reached out to a lot of girls. I have had fans email me saying they have eating disorders and after listening to the song they stopped. That’s really powerful.

What was shooting your first music video like?
It was awesome! I have such a distinct memory of it. I had never done a music video before. I had no idea what to expect. I had a really early call too. Days start on music videos at close to 4 AM. I get there and we do the first shot. Surprisingly, the crew could have just taken this first shot and made the whole entire video. That really boosted my confidence! Actually, Chris Applebaum who directed the music video is like my best friend. It is really nice to have someone direct you who really loves the music and just loves you as a person.

What should audiences expect when they see you perform live?
A lot of energy! Even my band was really surprised the first show, since they had only seen me in rehearsals. I really don’t go full out at sound checks. So, during the first show, they were all stunned. I like to have fun. It’s weird because I never remember what I do on stage. I have an alter ego too. I’m Piper when I am on stage! She’s crazy.

What was the best part about touring with Jesse McCartney?
Jesse is just a sweetheart. I love hanging out with him. I enjoy hanging out with the band and having a tour bus. I love getting to do shows every night. It’s somewhat of a steady schedule. I get up; do sound check, interviews, and then the show. I like to stay busy. I love the type of audience Jesse brings. They are such a fun group of people that are willing to dance and sing along and not care what anyone else thinks.

What are some beauty products that you can't live without?
First off, Lancôme’s Juicy Tube Lip Gloss and Carmex! I think I am addicted to Carmex. Basically, I love anything else by Lancôme. They sent me a bunch of stuff like their pressed powder. I use Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. I actually have a lot of drug store brand stuff. I also use Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation. It is so cool! It is everything I hoped it would be and more. It looks really natural and blends in really nice.

What is your favorite way to wear your hair?
When I have long days, I usually wear it straight because my hair is naturally curly. When I ever I try to curl it, it always looks really bad. So, it works better if I just keep it straight for the whole day. But, it usually ends up in a ponytail by the end. I can’t go a day without putting my hair up!

What is your daily hair care regimen?
I use Rusk Bright Chamomile and Lavender Color Brightening Shampoo to keep my hair from going yellow. I have a pet peeve about yellow hair. So, I use this purple shampoo. I am always changing my hair color. In pictures, sometimes it is red. I have brown hair then I go really blonde. Then, it will be ash blonde. Since I am always coloring my hair, I make sure to use products for dry hair all the time.

Which stores are a must when you hit the mall?
I am more of a thrift store kind of girl. But, I love Urban Outfitters. The Salvation Army is like my best friend! The Salvation Army by my house is so awesome. Every other Saturday, it is 50% off. So I go there with my friends. I got a whole new wardrobe for this tour because I can never wear the same outfit twice. I was able to get 6 new shirts for $5! I go in the little kids’ section too. I got a little boy’s tuxedo jacket. It’s so much fun!

What is your ultimate goal for the future?
For me, I would love to have a stamp. I know it’s a weird answer, but I was at the post office and saw all the people who had stamps: Elvis Presley and Mother Theresa. Everyone changed the world in some way through music, movies, or even charity. I think it would be awesome to have a stamp because you know you did something to change the world and change people’s opinion or mind.
-
-

By Jessica McCafferty

Photo Courtesy of BrieLarson.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE BRIE! i'm a huge fan of hers.

Anonymous said...

wonderful share, great article, very usefull for me...thanks